Hi Brandon,Too Afraid To Ask
Our school Valentine’s Day Dance is coming up! It’s girls ask guys, and the thought of having to ask a guy to the dance is freaking me out. OMG! I’m SO embarrassed! I just want to cover my face and CRINGE! I guess I’m too chicken! HELP!
Dear Too Afraid To Ask,
Since I have to ask girls to dances year-round, not just when it’s a special one, I feel your pain! It’s kind of intimidating to ask someone to be your date.
Even if you think the person has a crush on you, it can be really nerve-racking – and you might end up saying, “Um, do you…” then blushing and saying, “like ketchup? Me too. See you later!”
Fear not, though. I know a bunch of creative ways to ask someone to a dance without having to actually ask them. (Some of these I came up with, and some I found online.)
- If he’s into a sport, write these words on a ball and give it to him: “Will you go to the dance with me? We’ll have a ball!”
- Give him a rock with these words written on it: “It would rock if you’d go to the dance with me!”
- If you’re artistic, draw a picture of the two of you together at the dance, and write, “I think I can see the future – and I drew it. Am I right?”
- Hand him a Coke during lunch – one with a sticky note on it that reads, “Want to drink some of these at the dance together?”
- Ask him to play Hangman, and instead of coming up with a word, use the phrase, “Will you go to the dance with me?”
- Text him, “I really want to ask (insert his name here) to the dance, but I’m kind of nervous. Oops, meant to text this to someone else! So, want to go?”
- Ask him if he’ll help you with something. When he asks, “What?” say, “Asking someone I like to the dance – how would you do it?” Then do what he suggests.
- Ask him to help you with your homework. Then pull out your notebook with this written on the first page: “Will you go to the dance with me?”
- Do it with a “Knock knock” joke. Say, “Knock knock.” Then after he asks, “Who’s there?” say, “Will.” After he asks, “Will who?” Say, “Will you go to the dance with me?”
- Leave a note in his locker that reads, “Will you go the dance with me?” It’s simple, to the point – and you don’t have to ask him face-to-face.
If you’re still nervous because he might say no, think about it like this: he might also say yes! And he’ll probably be relieved that he didn’t have to ask you.
And if he doesn’t say yes, this is good practice. Some day, some guy will be really excited that you were brave enough to ask him out, and really impressed by how cute and creative you were about it.
I hope this helps!